Kitsap County News

Permit guidance offered for property owners recovering from coastal flooding1/4/2023

(Port Orchard, WA) - As property owners in Kitsap County contemplate clean up and repairs following recent flooding, the Department of Community Development (DCD) is reminding residents to obtain local permits before repairing or rebuilding flood-damaged structures. 

Permits are required as part of local government participation in the National Flood Insurance Program, providing eligibility for flood insurance, flood disaster assistance, state and federal grants and loans, and buyout funds for flood-prone property. 

Local floodplain management ordinances require that permits be obtained for any construction or development activity in a floodplain area, including the repair or reconstruction of structures damaged by flooding.

Special conditions apply to substantially damaged buildings - those in which the total cost of repairs is 50 percent or more of the structure's pre-flood market value. If a building is found to be substantially damaged, regulations require that repairs not begin until compliance with the local floodplain ordinance is demonstrated. In some cases, that may require repairs that include elevating or flood-proofing the structure to reduce the potential for future flood damage. 

The cost to repair must be calculated for full repair to "pre-damaged" condition, even if the owner elects to do less. The total cost to repair includes structural and finish materials as well as labor. If labor and materials have been donated, they must still be assigned a value. If local building codes require the structure to be repaired according to certain standards, these additional costs must be included in the full repair cost for the structure. 

Property owners and residents with flood-damaged buildings should contact Kitsap County DCD for more information on repair and reconstruction permits. 

DCD will be conducting damage assessments of residences in the area of Point No Point Road between today (1/4) and tomorrow (1/5).  If you have experienced flood damage to your property in Kitsap County outside of this area, please reach out for a damage assessment by visiting the KC Coastal webpage at and completing an assistance request.

You can also stop by the Disaster Relief Center located at the Greater Hansville Community Center, 6778 Buck Lake Rd NE in Hansville. They are open 9 AM to 4PM January 4 - 14, with the exception of Sunday, January 8.

For all current items Click Here

For previously posted items Click Here