Road Vacations

Please note the fee for processing Road Vacations has increased to $800.00 per Ordinance No. 215-2022 effective immediately.

Kitsap County manages right of way easements for public use on county roads. Under the Revised Code of Washington RCW 36.87 the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) can release an easement, thereby "vacating a road" if the BOCC considers the easement to have no current or future public use.

Property owners may initiate a road vacation through Kitsap County Public Works (KCPW). KCPW will process the petition and make recommendations to the BOCC. The process includes verification of land ownership, comment review from surrounding property owners, and a public hearing. If the BOCC approves the road vacation, the unused easement area returns to its origin.

Petition for Road Vacation

Policy for Road Vacation

Procedure for Road Vacation

Tax Title Property

For information regarding Tax Title Property, please contact the County Treasurer's Office at (360) 337-7135  or Kitsap 1, (360) 337.5777.


Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
Kitsap County Department of Public Works Roads Division assures that no person shall on the grounds of race, color, national origin, or sex, as provided by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and as amended, and the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 (P.I. 100.259) be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance from the Washington State Department of Transportation. For Title VI information, to locate our Title VI plan, and to learn how to file a complaint, please visit our Title VI Page. Contact Kitsap1 at 360.337.5777 or email for more information.