Recycling Exemption

Recycling exemption for seniors and disabled persons with limited income

Recycling collection is automatically included with garbage services in unincorporated Kitsap County. 

However, Kitsap County Code 9.48.040 authorizes the Kitsap County Solid Waste Division to exempt senior citizens and disabled persons with limited income from recycling services. Those with an exemption will not pay for or receive recycling collection services but may continue to recycle at drop-off facilities for no charge.

Eligibility and Application

Property owners must first receive the senior citizen/persons with disabilities property tax exemption from the Kitsap County Assessor's Office. Once you have received the tax exemption, you may contact the Kitsap County Solid Waste Division to request a recycling exemption. The Division will notify WM on your behalf, and WM will cancel your recycling services.

Renters must complete a separate application and must meet certain age, disability, income, and other requirements.

City residents should contact their city to ask about recycling accommodations or exceptions.

To inquire about a recycling exemption, contact Kitsap 1 at 360.337.5777 or email