Build or Modify My Road or Driveway

Road Approach/Driveway Permits

A Road Approach is a residential or commercial driveway for vehicular access to and from a property. Road approach review and approval are required to construct any new driveway and some changes to an existing driveway. Typically, new driveway construction is reviewed and approved through the review of an associated building permit. However, a stand-alone Road Approach Permit for a new driveway can also be submitted when access to the property is desired, such as installing utilities, a septic system or a well, before building permit application.

Build a Road in an Easement

Road construction will be needed if access to a property is via a private access easement and a road does not exist. It is essential first to determine that the property has the right to use the access easement. This may be stated in the property description, or a title company can assist in this determination.

Depending on the square footage of new or replaced hard surfaces created by road construction, the square footage of land disturbed, and other factors, a Site Development Activity Permit may be required. Completing the Stormwater Worksheet will help identify the level of drainage review required, whether a civil engineer is required to design the road/stormwater facilities, and whether a Site Development Activity Permit is required.

Build a Road in County Right-of-Way

If access to a property is via a County Right-of-Way and a road does not exist, road construction will be needed. Construction of a road in County Right-of-Way requires the following permits:

1. Site Development Activity Permit - road and stormwater facilities, designed by a civil engineer is required. This permit is managed by the Department of Community Development.

2. Permit to Use/Improve County Right-of-Way - there are different categories of this permit, discussed below. This permit is managed by the Public Works Department.

        • Category I Permit - to be used when the applicant proposes that the County assume road maintenance after construction.
        • Category II Permit- to be used when the applicant proposes that maintenance responsibilities rest with the abutting property owners.