Animal Disposal

Animal Disposal Page.png

Animals fall into two general categories: Wild and Domestic. The category, species and location of an animal determines which agency to report to and who is responsible for the animal. 

Injured Animals
If you find an injured animal, please contact the owner or a rescue rehabilitator.



Contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.
​Contact PAWS of Bainbridge Island and North Kitsap or the Kitsap Humane Society for assistance, or call 911 if on a roadway and dispatch will send Animal Control.

Deceased Animals


Wild animals are indigenous or feral animals with no obvious private owner. This includes big game (deer, elk, bear) and small game and rodents (opossum, raccoon, squirrel, birds.)

Birds, Bear, Cougar

Report to the WA Department of Fish & Wildlife at 360-902-2936, option 2 or send an email to

Marine Mammal

Contact a NOAA marine mammal responder at 1-866-767-6114 to report whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals, and sea lions on public or private beaches.


Contact Kitsap Public Health

Wild Game

If found under suspicious circumstances only, call 911 to report for further investigation.


Domesticated animals include farm and companion animals who have owners responsible for their well being. 

Need help identifying an owner?

Contact Kitsap Humane Society or PAWS.

Found on Roads

Large Wild Animals

When found on state roads, contact the WA State Patrol at 800-283-7808. When found on county roads, report it to Kitsap1. When found on city roads, contact the city's police or public works department.

Wild Game

Salvaging of roadkill is permitted for some elk and deer. Visit Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife ( for rules and regulations.

Cat or Dog

Call 911 to dispatch Animal Control. The Kitsap County Roads Division does not pick up domestic animals.

Large Livestock

Call 911 to report an animal found on a public roadway.

Found on Private Lands

Other wild animals not listed above and domestic animals found on private property are the responsibility of the land owner.​ Learn about Animal Livestock Disposal Options (WSDA | natural decomposition, composting, burial, rendering, incineration and landfilling.

Disposal Options


You may bury dead animals on your own property. Read the disposal methods section of WA-246-203-121 for instructions or the

Composting, Natural Decomposition

Use the guide to onsite Animal Livestock Disposal Options (WSDA | for help managing the carcass. Learn more about On-farm Composting of Large Animals (

On public hunting land in Washington, hunters may field dress game at the kill site and leave behind unwanted parts. Consult with the landowner for instructions when hunting private lands. Do not leave carcasses near access gates or roads.

Landfilling, Rendering, Cremation

Use the Animal Disposal Locator ( | map) if you do not wish to manage onsite. This interactive map helps you find cemeteries, cremation, rendering and landfill options in Washington State.

For animals under 15 pounds, wrap it in plastic and add it to your regular garbage. For animals over 15 pounds, wrap in plastic when possible, and Contact a Disposal Site ( Carcasses are accepted at Olympic View Transfer Station, Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m., for transport to a landfill.